Payment of monthly rent
As a resident, you are expected to pay fixed monthly rental for the unit you rent. Study the leasing terms and make the payments promptly. Usually you will be required to pay the rent online or by check.
- Some communities set up a check drop box so that you can drop off the check any time. Usually the box is accessible 24 hours a day as well. You may be required to pay rent on the 1st of each month or pay between 1st and 5th of each month. These rules vary.
- Late charges apply in the event of delayed payment. If you fail to make the payment within a reasonable amount of time, you will be served a notice by the leasing office.
- You can also pay online and set up alerts to pay rent on time. Many communities charge a service fee for processing online payments while others do not. If the charge is too high, just pay by check every month.
- If you are on vacation, ask a friend to drop off your check on time. You can also give it to someone in the leasing office. Leave a note with the check. Ask for a receipt.
- All residents are required to get a renter’s insurance policy. The policy must be renewed regularly or until the lease expires.
Information regarding pet policy and payment of rent is available in your rental lease agreement as well. Read the agreement carefully so that you do not miss any important details. Paying rent on time and being a responsible pet owner are crucial for peaceful rental living.